Veteran and military driver laws and benefits in idaho

The state of Idaho offers a number of benefits and perks to Americans who have either served in an armed forces department in the past or are currently active military members.

Vehicle registration benefits

Disabled veterans with a 100% permanent disability rating are eligible for an Idaho license plate with no fee. You must apply to the Regional Office of Veterans Administration for a disabled veteran's disability card. You can call the office at (208) 429-2145 or visit in person at 550 West Fort Street in Boise, ID.

Veteran driver's license designation

Idaho veterans can add a military designation on their driver's license in the form of the word "veteran" Obtained in black at the top center of the license or ID card. To qualify, you must bring proof of veteran status and honorable discharge (such as a DD 214 or letter of verification from the Department of Veterans Affairs) to your local driver's license office. There is no additional fee when adding the designation during a renewal. If you add the veteran designation between renewal periods, you will be charged a $15 license fee.

Military Honor Plates

Idaho offers a variety of veteran and military plates, including:

  • Disabled veteran
  • Congressional Medal of Honor
  • Former prisoner of war
  • Veteran plate (vehicle or motorcycle)
  • Member of the National Guard
  • Pearl Harbor survivor
  • Gold Star family plate (available to family members of a military member killed in action who has been awarded a Gold Star pin)
  • Armed Forces Reserves (five branches)

All plates except Disabled Veteran require a $25 fee in addition to standard registration fees. A portion of the Gold Star Family Plate fee is used for programs for veterans.

To qualify for a military license plate in Idaho, you must prove that you are eligible, for example:

  • Military ID card
  • Discharge paperwork (DD 214)
  • Verified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs

You can print out the Military License Plate application here.

Military Ability Waiver

The 2011 Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Commercial Learner's Permit rule makes it easier for veterans and military personnel who have experience driving commercial vehicles as part of their service to obtain a CDL upon return. The purpose of the law is to allow you to bypass the CDL eligibility test. If you want to take advantage of this military advantage, however, you must meet certain requirements. You must have at least two years of experience driving heavy military vehicles, and that experience must be within one year before applying for the waiver.

You must also be able to show certain things to your local licensing agency. These include your ability to be a safe driver, not hold a license outside of your regular driver's license and a military driver's license in the last two years, not have had a motor vehicle violation that would prevent you from having and not have had a CDL Have your license revoked, suspended or terminated?

As long as you have no disqualifying felonies, you can apply for military skills exemption in any state, including Idaho. The FMCSA offers a universal waiver here, though some states have their own, so you'll want to check with your local agency. Applicant is still required to take the written CDL examination.

Military Driver's License Act of 2012

This law allows those stationed outside their home state to obtain a CDL in their current location. This benefit is available to active duty personnel in the Army, Navy, Air Force, National Guard, Reserves, Coast Guard, and CG Auxiliary. You can apply for your CDL whether you are temporarily or permanently stationed in Idaho.

Driver's license and registration renewal while provided

If you plan to deploy at a time when your Idaho driver's license expires, you should renew it before deploying. You can renew your driver's license up to 25 months before the expiration date. Alternatively, you can apply for an extension for up to four years. The state recommends applying for the extension within six months, but no later than two months before the expiration date. You can find the application here.

There are no exemptions or extensions for vehicle registration renewal for Idaho residents who are military personnel. You can renew up to one year in advance by sending the required fee to your local office or checking to see if your home country participates in online renewal.

Driver's license for non-resident military personnel and vehicle registration

Idaho honors out-of-state driver's license and vehicle registration for out-of-state military stationed in the state.

Active or veteran military personnel can read more here on the state motor vehicle department website.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: