Who is to blame? What happens to the broken car? Who pays for the damage? After a traffic accident, many questions arise for the parties involved. An accident in German cities is by far not a rarity: Statistically, an accident happens every 12 seconds. Nevertheless, hardly anyone knows what to do in this delicate matter and what are the rights and obligations associated with it. We at Scheerer Law Firm& Maly are your lawyer for traffic law from Stuttgart and inform you comprehensively about what has to be considered in case of a traffic accident.
What to do first after a traffic accident?
- Secure the scene of the accident, turn on the hazard lights and set up the warning triangle at a distance of 50 to 100 m.
- Provide first aid if necessary.
- Gather evidence: Take pictures of the accident scene and the vehicles involved.
- In addition to overview photos, also take detailed photos of the damage caused.
- Make an accident sketch.
- Watch out for skid marks and fluid leaks.
- Together with the other party involved in the accident, fill out the accident report, which you can usually find in your glove compartment.
- Note the registration number of the vehicles involved, the name and address of the other party involved in the accident and possible witnesses, as well as insurance companies of the other party involved in the accident.
- If necessary, call the police. This should always be the case if persons have been injured, a high level of property damage has been caused or if there is a suspicion of a criminal offense (e.g.B. hit and run, drunk driving) exists.
What rights do I have as an injured party?
If you are involved in a traffic accident with your vehicle through no fault of your own, you naturally have rights as an injured party. First of all, it is the accident victim's right to call in an expert witness. This expert secures evidence, records the damage incurred and objectively assesses the amount of the damage. In addition, injured individuals can claim the following costs from the opposing insurance company: