Who is to blame? What happens to the broken car? Who pays for the damage? After a traffic accident, many questions arise for the parties involved. An accident in German cities is by far not a rarity: Statistically, an accident happens every 12 seconds. Nevertheless, hardly anyone knows what to do in this delicate matter and what are the rights and obligations associated with it. We at Scheerer Law Firm& Maly are your lawyer for traffic law from Stuttgart and inform you comprehensively about what has to be considered in case of a traffic accident.
What to do first after a traffic accident?
- Secure the scene of the accident, turn on the hazard lights and set up the warning triangle at a distance of 50 to 100 m.
- Provide first aid if necessary.
- Gather evidence: Take pictures of the accident scene and the vehicles involved.
- In addition to overview photos, also take detailed photos of the damage caused.
- Make an accident sketch.
- Watch out for skid marks and fluid leaks.
- Together with the other party involved in the accident, fill out the accident report, which you can usually find in your glove compartment.
- Note the registration number of the vehicles involved, the name and address of the other party involved in the accident and possible witnesses, as well as insurance companies of the other party involved in the accident.
- If necessary, call the police. This should always be the case if persons have been injured, a high level of property damage has been caused or if there is a suspicion of a criminal offense (e.g.B. hit and run, drunk driving) exists.
What rights do I have as an injured party?
If you are involved in a traffic accident with your vehicle through no fault of your own, you naturally have rights as an injured party. First of all, it is the accident victim's right to call in an expert witness. This expert secures evidence, records the damage incurred and objectively assesses the amount of the damage. In addition, injured individuals can claim the following costs from the opposing insurance company:
- Repairs to the vehicle
- Possible injuries of the accident victim
- Physical and psychological damage
- Replacement of damaged items
- Claims settlement
- Possible incapacity for work
- Costs for the breakdown of the vehicle
As a person who has been injured in an accident, we generally recommend that you show a certain degree of skepticism. If, for example, the opposing insurance company wants to take over the entire settlement of the claim, there is a risk that this will be done against the interests of the accident victim. To ensure that costs are not squeezed under any circumstances, you should definitely contact an independent expert and make full use of the rights to which you are entitled.
When should I call in a lawyer in case of an accident?
Lawyers should not be called in only when there are problems and difficulties loom on the horizon. If you contact our law firm in Stuttgart at an early stage, we can counteract disadvantages from the outset. We know the ins and outs of traffic law and can advise you of your rights. Even as the person who caused an accident it is advisable to contact our lawyers. We check which claims exist against you and whether you may only be partially to blame. Contact our law firm at any time in traffic matters!