Tips, documents and requirements for a trip to london


Tips, documents and requirements for a trip to London


One of the essential steps before leaving for London is to check whether we meet all the requirements for a trip to London. The documents required vary depending on the tourist's origin, whether they are from the European Union (EU) or outside it.

Below you will find an index with all the points we will cover in this article.

British Embassy

If in doubt, it is best to Contact the British Embassy in your country of origin to ensure that you are not missing any important documents when you enter the UK.

By clicking on this link you will find an alphabetical list with the contact details of the British Embassy around the world.

It is also advisable to visit the website of the UK Borders Directorate (formerly called UK Border Agencynow renamed UK Visas and Immigration), which you can access by clicking this link.

Requirements for a trip to London

In the following, we show you what is required and to which documents you must travel London:

  • EU citizens, Monaco, Andorra, Switzerland y Liechtenstein: you only need a national identity document (DNI) or passport to travel to the UK.
  • Minors: If those who will travel are minors, they need parental permission with ID if they do not have a passport.
  • Visitors from outside the EU: they must have their passport with them. In addition, it is very important to ensure that it is valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in the UK.
  • United Kingdom: they form a common space; if you have already entered one of these territories through immigration control, for this reason you will not have to go through further checks on the following occasions.
  • Holidays or permanent work: if you are from the European Economic Community (EEC), the EU, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland you do not need a visa to enter the UK.

Driver's license

It is legal to drive into London with a valid driving license from outside the UK for the first twelve months of your arrival in the country. However, you must ensure that you have the following documentation with you:

  • National driver's license
  • Dissemination Permit
  • Green Card (in English International Motor Insurance Card System)
  • "E" at the rear of the vehicle
  • You will need a copy of the Highway Code (Highway Code in English), which lists the rules of the wheel and traffic signals. You can read it by clicking on this link (in English).

In addition, it is recommended to check the vehicle well properly secured and the technical conditions you are well.


  • European Economic Area (EEA): Exemption from the need for a visa, whether for reasons of tourism, work or study.
  • Australia, Canada, NZ, South Africa and the United States: you do not need a visa if you are only going on vacation to London for stays of less than six months. From this point on a visa is required. Yes, it is necessary to work or study in the UK.
  • Remaining Nationalities: A visa is required in any of the above cases.
  • Tourist visas: they can only be extended if there is a clear emergency, z. B. an accident or the death of a family member.
  • Visa extension: you can use the visa& Contact Passport Information Line by telephone on 0870 606 7766 or in person at 40 Wellesley Rd, Immigration and Nationality Directorate, Home Office, Lunar House, Croydon, CR9 2BY. You must contact them before your current visa expires. In addition, this process can take several days.

Health Card

EU citizens must remove the European Sanitary Card (European Health Insurance Card) (formerly called Form E111), which entitles them to be treated in health centers and hospitals and receive free medical treatment.

If there are any costs, they will be lower through the National Health Service (NHS). Spanish citizens can get information on how to apply by clicking this link.

Other countries outside the EU claim reciprocal health agreements with the UK, listed below in alphabetical order:

  • Anguila
  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • Bulgaria
  • Channel Islands
  • Falkland Islands
  • Islas Turcas y Caicos
  • BVI
  • Montserrat
  • NZ
  • Romania
  • Rusia
  • Sta. Helena

However, it is always recommended to have a medical insurance policy. In the case of the USA and CanadaIn countries that do not have an agreement with the UK, the visitor must have a contract full travel medical insurance.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: